Monday, June 2, 2008

first day of work

My cleaning obligations in the hostel are to clean the floor that I sleep on, which is quite convenient because I know everyone on it, who is leaving, who is staying, and I won't always have to check in with the desk to see which beds to change sheets on. I don't really change sheets, just remove dirty ones and refold blankets. Eventually, when they get me a mop, I will mop the floors, change the trashes, wash the shower and the bathroom and always make sure there is enough toilet paper. A few nights into my stay a guy vomited in the sink on my floor and the desk people made him clean it up, so I probably won't have to deal with cleaning up other people's vomit. That's a good thing. Also, the cleaning woman said any time I can't clean or I will be travelling, just tell the desk and she will clean the floor instead. So I think it is a very flexible job. Everyone who works here is very laid back anyway.
I met a guy from Georgia (the state) who just spent a month in Turkey and is traveling in Bulgaria for one week before returning to his Masters program in Polisci. I told him I would be going to Turkey probably in June. When I woke up, the lonely planet guide to Turkey was sitting on my bed. I am always surprised by how kind people can be. Maybe I am just a sap. Maybe he left it there accidentally, but it would seem strange to place a book on someone's bed while they are sleeping in it if you don't intend to give it to them, don't you think?
The message function on Myspace is down right now, so I can't contact anyone. It was down yesterday too. I guess I am here for a while, I don't need to rush my research, but it would be nice to figure out what I am doing next. Though there is a show in Varna on the 16th, so I will head off to Varna for that. Maybe after that I will head to Turkey. We'll see...

1 comment:

Whinny said...

Hey, Jess.

I've had a thought that you might be able to get some research mileage by just comparing odd things at concerts between Bulgaria and the US - clothes, behavior, how the shows are advertised, who goes to the shows, how the audience members treat each other. Is the Bulgarian punk schtick different from the American punk schtick? Also, is the chord structure of the music any different? Does traditional Bulgarian music get into it at all?
Just a few questions.