Tuesday, August 5, 2008

karadare reflections

The beach was beautiful. But I think I prefer mountains. Something about spending that much time relaxing really tired me out. In reality, we ran out of sun screen and I was so afraid of turning bright red that I spent most of the last two days sipping nescafe in the bar reading Palace Walk. It was quite nice. And a great way to reflect on the last 2.5 months of my life.

It was funny, Katerina was paging through a magazine on the picnic table and stumbled across a five page article on Minnesota. Is it a sign? Or maybe just a coincidence. Who knows, but I found it very amusing. I wanted to take the article, but I restrained myself.

Didn't see any dolphins or sharks, but I imagined them playing out in the distance. The waves were really strong, but I found that if I went in deeper I could ride over them more easily. I am a much better swimming than I think I am... Neither of the girls with me knew how to swim. Bon fire's at night with African drums and singing. Early mornings waking with the heat of the sun. Crashing around on the waves, walking along the coast, being treated to shopska salat by friendly Bulgarians, meeting English speaking Bulgarians at the bar... twas nice.

But I am happy to be back in sunny sofia where my friends and surrogate family reside.

1 comment:

Wandering Americain said...

Hey, this John, Gen's friend. Seems everyone in our extended social network is going abroad or starting a blog or both. (Found you through comments on K's blog). Permission to include you on my blogroll?

(Right now my page is just music things to get me in the habit of posting daily, but soon it will be full of Canadian adventures...)